Start a new topic

Sonoff POW R2 needs Power on State

I have a bunch of old v1 POWs and they all have the Power on State. I recently bought a bunch of POW R2s and have updated thier firmware, it does not have power on state! I had plans to put the POW on my freezer, fridge and ACs. The devices must auto start after a power outage so I do not have to do it myself everytime. The worst case would be after a power outage I am not at home and everything melts away because Sonoff didn't bother to add Power on State on their next gen POW. We need Power on State on POW R2!

25 people like this idea

Same here... waiting for update for POW R2, i have the firmware 1.1.0

I have the same problem till now the firmware doesn't support Power on State and the device power on with OFF state which makes this device useless in many situations.

I bought a basic Sonoff switch (no POW) which has the power on state functionality. Nothing is connected to it and it just sits on power. The power on state is checked so this basic switch comes on when power is restored. I then programmed a scene and linked all POW R2s to this basic switch.

Power comes on, the basic switch turn on (through the power on state) and all POW R2s are following and turning on as well. This is just until they release the new firmware. I will then reuse the basic switch for something useful.

2 people like this

@unpluggedEV That's a good idea, but it will only work if there is internet access and their servers aren't busy and the devices connect. As it is, all my devices keep disconnecting during day time because of their  server loads. So while you're idea is good, it  is not  guaranteed to work everytime.

Hello. I recently baught 2 basic sonoff for floor lamps. They are working pretty good and the power on state is what i need most. I am looking to buy sonoff pow r2 for ceiling light and place it  in the small plastic cup that covers the wires. I don't want to use power hungry devices with sonoff because i am afraid of catching fire..My questions are two.. First, will the sonoff be safe enough just running one lamp 15w? Is there any firmware update released for sonoff pow r2 with the feature power on state? Thank you!

Hi Alex,

The R2 as well as the POW are totally OK for low power usage like lights. Just be aware the POW and POW R2 are a lot larger than the Basics. I use both the POW and R2 for high power applications (hot water (1.8kW) and electric vehicle charger (3.5kW)) and they work just fine. I have modified the POW for the charger though as it gets pretty hot in summer time here in Australia and removed the back of the plastic enclosure to allow some more airflow. This works great and I have no problem with heat any more...

The R2 still lacks the Power-On-State though. Firmware is still on 1.0.0. I've contacted their support and this feature is in development for a future release but no ETA at the moment.

2 people like this

Thank you very much for your response! I will measure the cup capacity just to test if the pow can fit in. Maybe i ll go with simple POW then since the upgraded power measurement of R2 its not important for me cause it will run only a single led light bulb..The only thing i was really woried about was catching fire while i was asleep or away from home..BTW i ll take the risk since you and other users run these sonoff's with boilers,heaters,chargers,ac's etc. and had no problem. After all its just a single led light bulb! Thank's again!! 

@unpluggedEV hello again! I measured the cup capacity and it doesn't fit in the POW..Can i use the Basic sonoff? the ground wire from my lamp holder will go straight to the ground wire that comes from the ceiling and N,L through sonoff. I want to run this kind of bulb. https://www.amazon.de/Philips-Lampe-ersetzt-warmwei%C3%9F-8718696414620/dp/B00P0LG2HE

I recently sent a feature request directly to Itead tech support before noticing this thread. 

Anyways, here's me saying it would be a great idea to add this feature in the settings. 

I didn't think that ITEAD is so bad. If I knew I bought alternative.

I blew my mind when I found about this. No Power On State...

1 person likes this

In my case I have tried it but I have not had that kind of problems, since my use is to monitor other equipment to see details of operation in a short time of test. This device is for power consumption, so I request that for the next POW add scanning functions such as KW per day in hours, KW per hour in minutes and likewise with the current. To give more versatility to this device.

To have kW per h or kW per minute that would be more a software problem rather than a firmware update. But great suggestions, I would like this feature too.

Update to firmware 1.1.0 but still no option for the on state.

Login or Signup to post a comment