Start a new topic

Sonoff S20 UK - Compatibility with UK Plugs?

I've just received an S20, UK version with plug to suit UK power outlets, and that appears to work perfectly well plugging into either fixed power socket or into an extension lead.   On the front there's a socket which looks like it's meant to be a UK standard one, but none of the plugs that I've tried can actually fit.  The shutter is the wrong size or shape or something, and does not open when you try to plug in.

Anyone else come across this?  It makes the device basically useless, the retailer has offered to exchange it or refund, but I thought I'd quickly ask whether this is a common and/or known problem.

I have a couple of the uk ones and all my plugs fit, they are a tight fit but do go in and the shutter system on the socket works well, so there isnt live sockets on view Maybe the shutter system isnt operating correctly. Stick a non metallic stick into the eart and see iff the shutter moves on the l and n sockets
Thanks, sounds like it might be worth trying a replacement.  The shutter moves and opens the L and N openings, but just must be the wrong shape or design to be opened by a normal UK plug.  Hope the replacement is better made.   By the way I note that Sonoff don't appear to claim either CE compliance or BS1363, so I guess we're on our own using these products in the UK. 

I think the website has downloads of the CE certificates: (and FCC/RoHS) Don’t know what it involves mind. Thought it was illegal to sell stuff that was not CE. Even Big companies like Amazon have them direct from Itead. I only have one and will have a look for a marker on the device too. I wouldn’t have bought one if they weren’t.
You're quite correct, thanks for the link, and it looks as if they have CE declarations for all their products. 

No worries. There is a silver sticker on mine with CE and RoHS on it, but they’ve partly put another white sticker over it. It doesn’t look carefully done and I wouldn’t be surprised if they had covered yours. Not that, if the test is as poor as the one for bike helmets, it means much. I am more reassured by the YouTube videos of people overloading them with current and seeing when they catch fire. That and if you open a device the large voltage tracks are nice and chunky.
Well, just heard back from the retailer and it sounds like all his stock is the same, all he's offering is a very small discount which doesn't really help.  I suppose if it was cheap enough I might consider dismantling to see whether I can modify the shutter.  Or may be even remove it altogether (making it non-compliance with UK standards).    Quite disappointing really.

Plugs work fine. You need to press HARD to insert fully.

Mine doesn’t require that much force. I’m giving it to my brother as I’m happy with wiring in the switches. If a device has an earth it requires voiding the warranty and removing the plug to feed the earth wire through, but as you can get a basic for £4.30 and for less than you pay for a socket you can get a POW that measures KW/h…it don’t make sense unless you hate screwdrivers. Even for devices with earth wires and molded on plugs a new 13A CE plug is just £1 from a pound shop.
Plugs work fine. You need to press HARD to insert fully.
Not the case with the one I have, even pushing hard enough for the earth pin to make a dent in the ramp of the shutter.
My plan B (once I've returned the dud S20) is that I have a couple of dead powerline adapters (killed by lightning) with the same pass through format.  I could gut those and hard wire in the circuit board from a Sonoff Basic to get the same end result. 

I had some remote sockets that I bought from one of the sheds years ok. Recently, they started playing up, to went the Sonoff route. I did think about repurposing them with Sonoff PCBs, but decided against it. They main problem I have, is that Alexa doesn't understand my wife's mangled English! Would really love an S20RF, so she could use an RF remote.
Can Alexa not do multiple languages? I don’t have one, but I have a google home. You can set the assistant language for each person. As the two devices essentially replicate each other’s Functionality if expect it to be able to do this by now. It’s been on google since the spring. Something in Chinese sounds like ‘hey google’ - I was going to get a Chinese friend to set up an account in Chineseand see if it stopped it.
Just experienced the same issue, you have wiggle the plug a bit as the lifting ramp could have been a little higher in the design. You can mimic the lift with a small screwdriver on the ground pin entry (obviously when it's not plugged in of course)
Retailer has again confirmed that none of his stock is any better.  Rather than go through the trouble of returning it, I've accepted a refund that effectively make the price so low I'm happy just ripping it to bits and using the electronics for something.
Disappointing though, I would really like something like that S20, but I guess I need to look for a different brand.

Just to be clear, they do work it's just you have to wiggle it a little, I do find this on a few devices that are designed and manufactured outside the UK plug area. I bought 2 and they both can plug into each other with ease so really it will only be an issue on some plugs possibly but circumvented by a little wiggle to put them in place. Have 2 up and running now.
Login or Signup to post a comment