Start a new topic

SONOFF connection to range extender

I have a very weak wifi signal in my garage. I installed a range extender to boost the wifi, so I can use itching/self-locking switch to control my garage door. But it turned out that smart switch cannot connect to the router through the range extender. I also tried other SONOFF devices which worked the same way. But all the devices can connect directly to the router without a problem. Have anyone had the same problem and  is there a solution? 

1 person has this question

UPDATE: I contacted Itead Tech Support and they said that their devices cannot work with range extender. That's really bad. Any ideas how to solve this problem?

Just a guess but worth a try.  Make sure your cell phone is connected to the range extender when you set up the Sonoff.  The Sonoff gets the wifi router information from the phone and it may need to get the MAC address of the extender instead of the main router.

Another idea, if it is capable, is to give the range extender a different SSID than the main router.  Some devices will allow this.  Then make sure the phone is connected to the range extender when you set up the Sonoff.

Hi.  I have 4 separate Sonoff devices connected to a single range extender without a problem.  The range extender has a different SSID to the primary WiFi router so the suggestion by E W is a good one. 

Thank you, guys, for replies. So, it looks like Sonoff devices can connect to the range extender. And it is partially true. I have three types of Smart Home devices: Sonoff Basic, TH16 and Inching/Self-Locking Switch. It turned out that Sonoff Basic connects to my range extender without any problem, but other two cannot connect.

I tried two range extenders - Tenda A9 N300 and TP-LINK TL-WA850RE - with the same results. My router is TL-WR841N. My range extender has different SSID  than router. I can try another router but it seems to me that the problem is rather related to Itead's devices than router. Sonoff Basic is the one of the oldest devices and, probably, it's firmware is different from the later models. 

The Itead support is of no help. Any ideas how to solve the problem?

Hmmm, I don't have anything but basics so I can't test this.  My gut says that wifi is wifi and it shouldn't matter if the device is connected to the main router or a repeater as long as the router and repeater are configured properly.  Make sure the main router is the only one issuing DHCP addresses and they are both on the same subnet.   One other thing you could try is connect the device to your main router then associate its MAC with a static IP address.  Once this is done, the try to connect it to the repeater.

Assigning static IP address doesn't work either.   

What happens if you turn off the wifi security and run it wide open?  Not suggesting you leave it that way but it might give you some insight into the problem.  There have been some changes in the WPA2 security protocols lately.  It might be something to do with different versions of it in the firmware of the devices.

--

I wish ITEAD would give you some feedback.  I am out of ideas.  I have 5 Basics running off a Ubiquity Bullet outdoor AP that is being fed with a cable from a router that is wirelessly bridged to my main router in the house.  So they are on the network essentially through 3 routers and work just fine.  Of course they are just the Basics which are also working for you.

Login or Signup to post a comment