Start a new topic

Add dusk to dawn schedule settings

TP-Link's Kasa equivalent of the S20 plug-in switch has sunset and sunrise time events, which follow the local dusk and dawn times.

This is very useful for lighting (internal and external) - can we get this added to E-WeLink?

19 people like this idea

Of course should this be implemented. Every serious home-automation-app (eg WeMo for Belkin) has it.

2 people like this

I used in the past a system of Sunrise/Sunset functions on previous application. It worked out the time from the system date and you gave it your location (latitude). That was several decades ago but with the invention of the smart phone and the fact that it already knows your location, the function would not appear very difficult compared with the other eWelink time functions available.

With home automation, I would think it very useful for home security lighting. It also adapted for daylight saving although smart phones nowadays already accommodate for that.

2 people like this
This would be great :-)

1 person likes this

This is what I'm missing!

1 person likes this

for any outlet and/or switch (both which run lights for me)... in addition to strict time schedules for on/off, i'd find it very useful to also turn on/off:

1) sunrise/sunset (as mentioned)

2) x min before/after a given time-- eg. bathroom fan turned off 30min after turned on (either by scheduled time, or by manual activation at the switch), turn off driveway lights 15min after turned on manually.

3) combo of 1 & 2... x min before/after sunrise/sunset. eg. turn on driveway lights 10min before sunset, turn off lights 5 min after sunrise. Or . Turn on outdoor lights @sunset, and turn off 2hours later (after sunset / sunset + 2hrs), turn back on 2 hours before sunrise and turn off at sunrise.

2 people like this

I'm holding off switching over several lights to Sonoff switches/sockets until this is implemented. But what is also needed is the ability to set sunset/sunrise offsets, eg trigger 20 minutes before sunset. 

@Mark I 

Check out my last post here under the topic "Dusk and Down control".  Using IFTTT you can now switch the sonoffs at dusk and dawn.  If you can use my script with webhooks you can also adjust the time.  If not you can still use Weather Underground's sunrise and sunset settings as a trigger event.

Thanks, EW. My current lighting uses Energenie MiHome with IFTTT/WU to trigger at sunrise/sunset, but would prefer it with offsets, which IFTTT doesn't have (unlike Stringify which has a wealth of options including Civil Twilight). The nice thing about moving to Sonoff is the reliability and snappy response time; and native triggers are always preferable to 3rd party ones.

Trouble with IFTTT, apart from it being laggy and unreliable, is you feel your IQ drop whenever you use it. It's the Fischer Price Activity Centre of IOT.

I hear you Mark.  I am still pretty new to all of this and having fun experimenting with it.  The script uses php's sun_info function and can do the twilight functions which I used.  Only been running it a week but so far it has been reliable.  I will take a look at Stringify!

It would be a very useful function ... wait for this too.

Not wanting to wait for itead to implement this very usefull sunrise/sunset-function, I've flashed my 4 Sonoff's with ESP Easy firmware. Then I bought a second hand Raspberry Pi. Put (after OS Raspbian)  Domoticz software on the rpi. Installed the Domoticz app on my Android phona. Added a 4-relay-board to the rpi. And now I can switch 8 different devices (mostly lights). All including sunrise and/or sunset times (including an offset).

Login or Signup to post a comment