Start a new topic
Not Taken

3.5'' Nextion Display Enclosure

Please put in serial production wall mounting enclosure for 3.5'' Nextion Display. Modbus inside will be absolutly awesome! I would buy tonns of this product.

1 person likes this idea

sorry, but only with a promise for future buy you can't make a big development.

you can do your own STL design for your desired wall mount enclosure. Itead even offers an industrial 3d printing service for such for a reasonable price ...

For Modbus, sorry, but there are plenty of small "RS232/485 to Modbus" converters available, no need to invent the wheel again ...

But seriousely, just place an order about 100K, make the prepayment, and we surely can talk about a customized version for you ... :-)

Thanks for reply!
I have a 3d printer, but rusult of printing is not good.
Can i see somewere yours printing examples to look at quality?

sorry, but to check if the quality really fit your needs, I guess there is no real way around besides try it out once ... 

order one, using a real good STL, if it fit great order more, if not no big lost ...

but a sample-photo won't tell you the story ...

Hello Gerry,

You said: "...there are plenty of small "RS232/485 to Modbus" converters available..."

There are no such converters. Do not confuse the interface with the protocol.

The presence of such a protocol as Modbus in Nextion will attract a large number of developers from the field of industrial automation (OEM) and not only.

Best regards,

Mikhail Artemyev

technically you are right, but speaking about technology, how much of the remaining 3.5K of user coding space do you like to spend for a ModBus protocol implementation?

And how big is the large number you talk about? Until now I didn't see a lot voters for ModBus ...

exactly nobody in 4 month ...

Depending on the task. I would boldly gave half the memory to implement the modbus, but not the fact that it would take so much - Modbus protocol is simple and does not require a lot of resources. Also, it is not necessary to implement all the modbus commands. In addition, you have displays with advanced parameters, where there is more memory. You can not use a large number of graphics in projects thereby saving memory.

In industrial automation, most expensive solutions are used, including visualization of processes. All these solutions use industrial protocols including modbus which is the most popular and universal protocol that is supported by almost all manufacturers of industrial controllers. Accordingly, if you do not find a suitable protocol, the developers simply pass by, believing that such a cheap HMI is not able to meet their requirements.

About the fact that no one for 4 months, no one asked about Modbus. It's all simple - in the search engine found a topic where you said that you will not add support for modbus and the second time you did not ask.

so, there we go ...

ModBus is not the holy grale, not everybody in industry use ... ressources are limited ...

there are many "nice to haves'" out ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_automation_protocols

and you can find friends for them all out ... but that all is NOT Nextion HMI world ...

ModBus is a MultiNode protocol per se, RS232 is a P2P topology by design ... RS232 is definitely the wrong interface for a ModBus implementation, even it is theoretically possible ...

Nextion HMI devices are a plain TTL serial solution ...

I did not say that modbus is the only protocol in industrial automation. I just said that it is universal and the most popular among all, because It is supported by most known controllers and is often used to transfer data to the upper layer. And not always for the transfer of data to SCADA uses native protocols.

Modbus is not necessarily used in the Multi mode, it can also work as a point-to-point. I personally implemented it on both RS-485 and RS-232 and on a pure UART. On UART is even easier, because there is no need to make delays between receiving and transmitting data. In addition, the RS-485 / UART chip is very cheap.

the problem with such "cutdowns" are always the ones who juuuuuust like to have the cutdown ...

what fits you does not mandantory fit others ...

and ModBus per se is a MultiNode and not a forced P2P ...

btw. 3.5 KB is not that much ... and cut down this available for implement such a protocol is no real good idea... too many limitations on other sides ...

and not to forget ...

if somebody really need a ModBus protocoll, what is more simple than use a cheap mcu as man in the middle for this ...

normally, you won't connect a HMI display to multinodes, you connect it to a given mcu platform ...

therefore ModBus on the choosed mcu makes sense, but not as plain remote protocol between the HMI device and the mcu ...

even not in industry ...

embedding a Nextion HMI display via plain TTL ASCII commands is so simple, is there a need to make things more complex? Maybe too simple for engineers?

and not to forget ...

https://www.itead.cc/customizable/

everything can be done, but finally somebody also must pay for ...

and until now I didn't get any inquiry from the thread opener ... when he really has a demand for "tons", such a customisation would be the way to go, and not to wait until others make the development for free ...

but as soon as it comes to real money, most of the "we all" becames suddenly a famouse "nobody" ...

Modbus allows the use of various interfaces, also allows operation in point-to-point mode, which is confirmed by various documents and devices in which it is implemented.

And in many cases, the mode is used pointwise to improve the reliability of the line, so that when one line breaks, communication with all devices is not lost. Well and to the panel of the operator seldom connect more than one controller.

Intermediate cheap mcu set is not easier, it will incur additional costs, including time, for the development of the project.

The protocol guarantees the reliability of the received data. The protocol brings order to the project.

In addition, I do not urge everyone to do modbus, but just add it as an option.

Speaking about the contribution to your development. I bought several displays from you and plan to buy more. What is not support?

according to all previously told reasons ...

even as an option, just not possible ...

Login or Signup to post a comment