Start a new topic

Nextion Arduino Tutorial without Nextion library

There is nothing worse that trying to do something with a Nextion without the needed information. With more tabs open in your internet browser than the money spent on your house looking for information, you loose track of time and before you know its way past your bedtime. By then you realize that you have achieved nothing more than when you started with your bright idea for the next million dollar gadget. 

I have been there, done that, got the T-shirt and every trophy. I have spent so many hours in my office trying to figure out how to get the Nextion display to do what I want it to do that my own dog started barking at me.

That said, I am willing to share what I managed to figure out. When I started out, I did not use the Nextion.h Library for arduino. When I eventually downloaded the library, I was not in the mood to spend another week to learn how to use it.

So here we go.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to write information to you newly purchased Nextion.

Use the Nextion IDE to design your Nextion layout.

Add a text box on your display. 

imageLook at the ID in on the right hand side. In this case it is called t0. Upload to your Nextion display.

Now  connect the RX wire on the Nextion to the TX on the Arduino. If you use an external power supply for the Nextion, remeber to connect ground from the Arduino to ground of the external power supply.

Lets have a look at the Arduino code.

void setup()

{

Serial.begin(9600);

}

void loop()

{

Serial.print("t0.txt=");

Serial.write(0x22);

Serial.print("Hello Nextion");

Serial.write(0x22);

Serial.write(0xff);

Serial.write(0xff);

Serial.write(0xff);  

}

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to use the Crop feature

After designing your layout, use the + button, like above to add your picture.

For this example, the picture will change when a Input is triggered on the Arduino.

Add the next two pictures.

and

Click the Sti tab on the right like below and select "Image".Double click PIC tab and select the first picture without the yellow gear like below.

Next up, click the crop button on the left like below.

Stretch and place the block over the circle like below.

Double click the picc tab on the right and once again select the picture without the gear. Upload to your display.

Next up is to code your Arduino.

int button1 = 8

int buttonstate = 0;

void setup()

{

pinMode(button1,INPUT);

Serial.begin(9600);

}

void loop()

{

buttonstate = digitalRead(button1);

if (buttonstate == HIGH)

{

Serial.print("picq 134,28,217,219,1");

Serial.write(0xff);

Serial.write(0xff);

Serial.write(0xff);

}

else

{

Serial.print("picq 134,28,217,219,0"); 

Serial.write(0xff);

Serial.write(0xff);

Serial.write(0xff);

}

}

Upload to your arduino and if everything is set up correctly, the picture should change once the input is set to HIGH and default when the input is LOW

The line Serial.print("picq 134,28,217,219,0"); works like this.

picq is the name or ID of the picture. The numbers (134,28,217,219,0) represent the coordinates, width and height. The last digit is the image number (picc #) 

How to change a picture with a Digital Input.

This example works more or less the same as the previous.

Load two pictures in the Nextion IDE.like below

Click the Picture button like below

Double click the PIC tab on the right

Select the first Picture. Upload to you Nextion.

Arduino code:

int button1 = 8

int buttonstate = 0;

void setup()

{

pinMode(button1,INPUT);

Serial.begin(9600);

}

void loop()

{

buttonstate = digitalRead(button1);

if (buttonstate == HIGH)

{

Serial.print("p0.pic=1");

Serial.write(0xff);

Serial.write(0xff);

Serial.write(0xff); 

}

else

{

Serial.print("p0.pic=0");

Serial.write(0xff);

Serial.write(0xff);

Serial.write(0xff); 

}

}

Serial.print("p0.pic=1");  p0 is the picture number. 1 is pictures name or ID.

imageYou can see the picture numbers on the left like in the example above.

I hope this is helpful to anyone that feels the struggle. I will try to update this tutorial every once in a while. 

In church the other day, the guy sitting next to me lit up a cigarette. I got such a fright I nearly dropped my beer.

3 people like this idea

Thank you for this Johan.

This to me - seems much simpler than the Nextion libraries / serial communication protocols.

Do you have any other simple commands available?

1 person likes this

@jared

Do you have any other simple commands available?

You can change programmatically all attributes written with green color, see post #2 in this thread:

http://support.iteadstudio.com/support/discussions/topics/1000064053

See also the Quick Start Guide:

https://www.itead.cc/wiki/Nextion_Editor_Quick_Start_Guide#Components

but be aware that the command "ref xx" mentioned in this guide is not relevant any more (let's pray ITEAD will update the Nextion Wiki before Christmas...).

and why shell "ref ID/Object" not work and be irrelevant?

HMI
(26.4 KB)

@Gerry

and why shell "ref ID/Object" not work and be irrelevant?

The Wiki says:

But if we want to change the text color with command"t0.pco=65535", we can't see the change immediately, so we have to add a command "ref t0", then it will work.

This was true before version 0.39, but is not needed any more.

Version history http://support.iteadstudio.com/support/discussions/topics/1000063201:

Point 7 in version 0.39 (6 months ago):

7. Since this release, any properties that modify a control in runtime are automatically refreshed, eliminating the need for a manual refresh instruction. (The original version in the modified non-bold attributes need to manually refresh)

Since ITEAD don't update the Wiki, I think it would be nice if ITEAD could give you and Patrick access to the Wiki as administrators. All errors and typos mentioned in http://support.iteadstudio.com/support/discussions/topics/11000007818 could finally be corrected. I see in the forum that you and Patrick use time to write several times the same answers to questions, but you would spare time if you could refer to relevant parts of the Wiki.

you are technically right, but it's nothing which will influence your code. The additional ref command neither will produce an error, nor will it scramble your logic code workflow ...

- With ref, it works for all HMI's, so it is a save way ...

- Without ref, it works only with HMI's 0.39 and up, it works but limited to new versions

you would be surprised, how many customers are out who still work with even 0.32 designs ... update is no option for them ...

I also don't think, that such a corrected article would save a lot. So or so we need time to tell them the references.

The core problem is more, that users just don't read, independent where the information stays ...

If they would carefully read the wiki, such descriptive errors like the "ref" would have been complained since 0.39 by many ... but nobody read, so nobody complain ...

I have been using the Nextion.h  from https://github.com/bborncr/nextion

mainly because its small with a few simple commands. ie,

myNextion.sendCommand("click Operate.b2,0");     // operate a button

myNextion.sendCommand("vis j1,1");                       // set visible

myNextion.setComponentValue("j2",45);                  // update a value

int VAC1 = map(Vac1_Max, 0,120,0,250);

String VA1 ="add 1,0,";VA1+=VAC1;

myNextion.sendCommand(VA1.c_str());                // set a value to a Waveform 1

@Rod

The issue with the file you refer to is

- who is going to answer all the questions for this file

the two guys who made it for their simple demo abandoned it.

- if has inconsistencies with 0xFF terminators with triple ffff  terminators

- it hasn't grown with Nextion's new capabilities.

- Arduino SoftwareSerial is AVR based, so even as Arduino IDE expands

into Espressif, ARM, ST, Intel MCUs such will fail on the newer MCUs.

All that can be done in that file could also be done in simple code

- which is exactly what the two guys did for their little demo project.

But when no one supports it to answer all questions about it, to update it,

.. um yeah - so a warning for those who consider using it

Well, when the nextion.h file from Itead is a reasonable size I will relook at it, At the moment it is totally over the top for smaller procesors like the 328 as it has a class structure/program for every action rather than using small code snippets for what is essentially a command driven product. That is exactly what these guys did. Limited general snippets which I applaud and recommend someone to expand on

As to the porting to softwareserial or its like this feature has to be provided or else the Nextion will not be able to be used with any processors with limited hardware UARTs. when serial is required for debug or modbus et al

1 person likes this

@Rod, no I get it.

from an UNO you aren't really going to be swapping TFTs out on the fly

so you can remove the NexUpload pair and remove its .h from Nextion.h

Iteadlib runs fine on the UNO.

The class structure isn't a huge issue, the compiler only includes the code used

There is no real magic with the bborncr, most simple code.

- but they don't support it, they have the ffff error, no one fixes it

and no one to advance it or support users questions.

When a user is advanced enough that support is not an issue, okay

- but I see way too many questions on this bborncr file

This is why I can't recommend it - most users want to be able to

ask their questions, and get some answers, so I recommend Iteadlib

What about reading values from the Nextion?

Yes

Their .h has read value and read text calls though I don't personally don't use them. I just use the print command to send a real value ( with a cov for integers value) without the frustrating OxF ends, and maddening Endian translation.  This is the biggest annoyance for me of this product that the returns are 'special' so simple functions in Arduino such as Serial.parseint() cannot be used. 

Also I have spoken by email to them and they said that they are supporting their product, but have not developed it as it sufficed for their needs. As I said earlier I believe the itead offering is way off beam for a simple command driven product.....

I know their libs do but I meant without them. They're horrible to use. I usually use the simple ones at https://github.com/bborncr/nextion but can't get either to compile with STM32suino so I'm having to resort to simple serial like this. I'm going through their code but I'm not great at c++.  

I know hey do. I usually use the simple lib at https://github.com/bborncr/nextion but I can't get either of them to compile with STMduino and my knowledge of cpp is pretty weak to troubleshoot that or to reverse engineer it. 

It's sad that this is a great idea for simple displays but it's crippled by an interface that's anything but simple! :-( It should/could be as simple as control.text = "Hello world" 

Sorry Rod

But programming involves taking whatever "protocols" are in place and working with them.

It isn't a Nextion issue if

a number is stored as little-endian or big-endian,

but Nextion uses the natural method ARM stores internally = little endian.

One doesn't complain if something is TTL (high is 0) or rs232c (low is 0)
or if a byte is transferred LSB or MSB

They simply program it.

Nextion is not the only device to have indicators of frame end

not the first, certainly wouldn't be the last

Nextion is not the only device to have return codes

not the first, certainly wouldn't be the last.

A one byte preamble is certainly less complex then most devices

0x71 Number. 0x70 String, 0x65 Touch event ...

And a tracking the frame end is so simple too

read a byte, two shifts and one compare in a single 32 bit register

This is more efficient and speedy than the 0x0D 0x0A Windows has on line endings.

Read a number
 if 0x71 byte

for loop of 4 bytes
        shift, read byte and add byte
    for next three bytes check frame ending.

A product can not be compared as on/off beam based on lack of skill of some.
The way you present, all I2C and SPI devices should be banned

Login or Signup to post a comment