Start a new topic

Korean characters

Hi.  I am currently developing with the Nextion screen model NX3224T024_011.  It is going great so far, very easy to work with.

However, I cannot figure out how to display Korean characters.  I tried creating a font using the GB 2312 code set and managed to display Chinese and Japanese, but Korean shows only '?'.

Thanks for helping me on this.

Current supported character sets are only

iso-8859 series 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,11,13, and 15

ascii up to 126

gb2312

using GB2312 only makes sense if

- MCU is sending two-byte character

- needed Korean characters is subset of GB2312

As MCU only understand bytes and words in numerical format

which font matrix displays to the screen is based on math

such byte maybe could be altered in zi font file

Such is beyond normal support at current.

I re-emphasize

much is very dependent on how the MCU calculates a char

If you wish to elaborate on this

- perhaps I can see what possibilities exist

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your answer.  I understand, and will try to formulate my question in another way, so you can tell how possible it is to achieve it.

Below are some words I would have to display.  On the left side is from an Excel sheet, on the right the results with the Nextion screen.

The question is: is there a way to have all those languages correctly displayed at the same time?  Or will I have to manage different text fields that are pre-set to the right font encoding?

Also, can you quickly explain what you mean by altering the zi font file?  Is that graphically adding the characters I want to display?

Finally, I will have that screen set up on a standalone unit.  The unit itself can be updated via wireless network, but the screen will be a pain to reach to manually reprogram with a MicroSD card.  Is there a way to reprogram the screen via the serial port?  If so, is there a protocol to ensure the safe transfer and completion of the creen update via the serial port?

Thank you very much.

Big5 and kc_c_5601-1987 support have been added in version 0.46

Please download the newer version of the Nextion Editor.

Please try creating fonts with the Nextion Editor Font Creator Found under Tools.

Other points you present

Handling more than one character set at the same time

- an MCU can only send one/two bytes per char  say decimal 240, 0xD0

- this char is representative of local language as a character

- to the MCU it is still just a byte or 8-bits of data.

- byte 240 has different meanings in Russian, Greek, Hebrew, English etc.

See thread  http://support.iteadstudio.com/support/discussions/topics/11000011112

It would be challenging at best to represent more than one in fonts as the HMI is designed with only one Encoding, such processing power required between is most likely beyond typical MCU

The serial protocol is published on the Itead Blog

https://www.itead.cc/blog/nextion-hmi-upload-protocol

This link is found in Tools, Tips, Tricks and How-TOs

http://support.iteadstudio.com/support/discussions/topics/11000007783

There have been a few that created software to edit the ZI Font

- these are listed in the Tools, Tips, Tricks and How-TOs thread

- they are becoming dated and none have the new sets supported in 0.46

Such internal details remain closed source.

@Xlavoie

The question is: is there a way to have all those languages correctly displayed at the same time?  Or will I have to manage different text fields that are pre-set to the right font encoding?

You can send a command like "t0.font=2" from your controller in order to change the font of a text field dynamically.

In the 'Fonts' tab in Nextion Editor you can add one font for each character set.

Your controller must also encode characters in accordance with the different font charsets. Maybe this thread will help you:

http://support.iteadstudio.com/support/discussions/topics/11000007764

Thank you very much Patrick and Raphaël for your replies, it is very clear and I will be able to achieve what I need with this.

1 person likes this
Login or Signup to post a comment