Start a new topic

Problem on Sonoff Touch installation (US)

I bought the Sonoff Touch for US version. I have installed and paired the device, now it is working with eWink. However, this device should never be sold to the US and will never pass the UL certificate. For the following reasons.

1. Basic design flaws. The US electrical wiring for home in wall installation basically takes the Romex or Beamex format and the wires they provided are solid wires(photo 1). The basic design for Touch dose not allow margins for the screws to protrude from the mounting braket. (photos 2 and 3).  In order to install it, the bracket must be filed down with notches like the photos 2 and 3.

2. The latches of the Touch is too week to handle a solid wire installation(photo 4), basically it is about 1/2" from the wall bracket and the wires are exposed, After install the Touch, I have to use wires to tide it down (photo 5). This is absolutely not acceptable in electric code. In the US, plate covers are tide down with screws.

3. Apparently the switch require constant power to provide the wifi function. The US single cable (Romex or Beamex) wall installation comes in three wires, a ground, a neutral and a hot. The switch has provisions on neutral and hot wires, but has no provision for the ground wire. An ungrounded wire was used up to the 1960's but since 1970, it has been the standard for three wire grounded installation. 

4. Most homes has three way switches. Touch has no provisions for a three way switches.

The whole Touch concept is fine, but you'd better come here to learn about electrical system and codes (law). 

image5.JPG
(96.6 KB)
image4.JPG
(90.2 KB)
image3.JPG
(119 KB)
image2.JPG
(110 KB)

Jack - I'm aware of all the implications.  I wouldn't mind taking the risk so much...  if the damn thing actually fit the way it was supposed to.  That's my point. This looks shoddy inside, so if I was asked by them to pull it out so they could check it even, it would never fly the way it looks.  Not that it would be certified anyway I guess.  I would be willing to pay 50% higher price for one that fit and was certified.  Or more...  Does anyone know of another Google compatible wall switch?? 

The TP-Link HS200 is smaller, and uses a pigtail instead of screws. I installed two without issue. I would install another 5, but the price is too high ($40 right now).

I have seen several sellers offering a slightly larger unit for $25. It's labelled the KS-605, and uses screws at the bottom.

Attached is a photo with dimensions, says 44mm wide, and 70mm tall + space for screws sticking out.

KS605.jpg
(127 KB)

How about the Wemo F7C030? I saw it is selling around $30 on ebay

Login or Signup to post a comment