Start a new topic

Problem on Sonoff Touch installation (US)

I bought the Sonoff Touch for US version. I have installed and paired the device, now it is working with eWink. However, this device should never be sold to the US and will never pass the UL certificate. For the following reasons.

1. Basic design flaws. The US electrical wiring for home in wall installation basically takes the Romex or Beamex format and the wires they provided are solid wires(photo 1). The basic design for Touch dose not allow margins for the screws to protrude from the mounting braket. (photos 2 and 3).  In order to install it, the bracket must be filed down with notches like the photos 2 and 3.

2. The latches of the Touch is too week to handle a solid wire installation(photo 4), basically it is about 1/2" from the wall bracket and the wires are exposed, After install the Touch, I have to use wires to tide it down (photo 5). This is absolutely not acceptable in electric code. In the US, plate covers are tide down with screws.

3. Apparently the switch require constant power to provide the wifi function. The US single cable (Romex or Beamex) wall installation comes in three wires, a ground, a neutral and a hot. The switch has provisions on neutral and hot wires, but has no provision for the ground wire. An ungrounded wire was used up to the 1960's but since 1970, it has been the standard for three wire grounded installation. 

4. Most homes has three way switches. Touch has no provisions for a three way switches.

The whole Touch concept is fine, but you'd better come here to learn about electrical system and codes (law). 

image5.JPG
(96.6 KB)
image4.JPG
(90.2 KB)
image3.JPG
(119 KB)
image2.JPG
(110 KB)

1.Why not allow margins for the screws to protrude from the mounting braket? from the attachment  picture 1,you can see there have rooms to release screws.

2.I don't why other people used it haven't this problem.Maybe you can show me more details like the size of device.that i can send it to our R&D team.

3. Maybe you are right.

4.We will release two button touch future. 

1.jpg
(57.3 KB)

You should review this from Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY6beZqGzRo

The screw you showed above is all the way in, if you have it half way, you cannot fit into the frame

1 person likes this

Also, the two button Touch is not going to solve the three way switch. Please review the three way switch concept in the following youtube video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDyvcM0gcVs

Please note that three way switch will not have full time power in each switch

1 person likes this
Nice report, Jack. Same problem in the US... Metal box edge contact... bad! And cannot get the wired unit past the mounting bracket to get it in the wall box. Also the screw size is insufficient to get sufficient torque down on solid wire. Sonoff can order up a variety of US switch boxes and try again. It will also not work on two or three gang boxes (where the box is wide enough for two or three switches). Better to make the touch section fit into a standard "decorative" switch wall plate.

Not only that, Gary, they should buy all kinds of in-wall boxes and switches from USA and other countries to configure their products, if they intended to sell to the world. For hobbiest, you can get by with anything, but for the Government approval and to be usable for construction purpose, they are far from it. The above mentioned Touch review on youtube is from Australia, apparently, Australia and USA have the same problems.

Besides, they have to put into consideration of old construction and new construction for in wall installation. A receptacle box from 100 years or even 50, 25 years ago is totally different from today's standard.

OK

http://tinkerman.cat/esp8266-multi-relay-boards-sonoff-dual-electrodragon/

Sonoff dual maybe able to fix the three ways switch problem, but do we have to flash it with ESPurna to perform the operation or it has firmware included. Besides, it is the regular Sonoff, it has not been released to Touch and when it is implemented, will that fix all the problems that Touch has?

I still cannot make the touch to hold solid in the electrical box. 

Yeah I would be ok if they found some limited solution with newer boxes...if it means keepimg costs down. Boxes can be replaced if push comes to shove. It is a hobbyist product. Can spend big bucks today for more friendly solutions.
Everything Jack said is correct - these are basically useless in the US. There's some design flaws that make me wonder if anyone ever actually used one before shipping them. Like he says, once you have the mounting bracket on the wall, and screw the wires into the device, the screws are now protruding slightly farther out, and won't allow you to put the Touch into the bracket. You have to file it down. Also, it's too wide. I haven't found a wall box that lets me put this in without the live screws on the side touching the metal box! I'm willing to pay for an improved version of this that actually works in the US. Itead - for better service next time, try actually installing a new product you design before shipping it

One idea to fix the protruding power screws (and Sonoff should use this idea) is to remove the screws and solder some ~16 gauge stranded copper wires (and color code them - wht for neutral, blk for line and yellow for the bulb...).

The wire leads should be about 8" long..

Not sure how accessible the screw posts are but hopefully with a bit of fiddling you can solder a wire to it.

Certainly during manufacturing it would be easy to afix the wires!

I like the Sonoff products - they work pretty good and the price is good - and only wish in addn to using wire leads for the power wiring that the face plate conformed to the "Decora" standard - this is key if you want to add a Sonoff into a multi 'ganged' box with other Decora style switches...

If they implemented these ideas I bet they would sell a "ton" of Touches ... !!!

Glen,

I don't know where do you come from but your idea will not fly with the building codes in the US. You cannot solder any thing in an in-wall installation. That will not pass UL safety check. The minimum in wall wires for US is 14 gauge, not  16 and the wires must be solid copper. The Touch must be redesigned so the wire can be connected to the units from the back, not from the side. The body must be screwed into the electric box, not using a "hook" to secure to the "frame".  Nothing to be sold without total redesign and they should buy some like kind switches and electrical boxes to test out.

I'm very familiar with US electrical codes and I think you are being somewhat over zealous and irascible in your comments. 

Please don't take my suggestions too literally - by "soldering" the connection could be, during the manufacturing process, electrically welded / crimped to conform to code... 

But more essentially you are missing my point which is that the Touch s/b supplied with wire "pig tails" which are more convenient to use and solves the too long screw problem.

Furthermore I tend to disagree with your 14 gauge wire requirement  - I'm looking right at a Belkin Wemo and it seems to me that their pig tails are in fact 16 gauge and are certainly stranded wire!

I might add that logically for the short length of the pig tails there will negligible difference in the conductance between 14 and 16 gauge... 

Not sure about your comment about hooks and where that came from - not from my comments...

I would agree that the the units need to a proper screw connection into the outlet box.

There is nothing to talk about the design on Touch, if it can gain UL approval, then you have a point. If it is not UL approved device, then there is no grounds for your argument.

To the support team.  Is there a redesign of the Touch US version?  I bought one and like what Jack stated, the screws protrude too much and will touch the metal box.  This is not ideal.  The device box dimensions are 3 x 2 x 2 1/2".  Please redesign your Touch US version as it is useless for me now.  Also, we use the device vertical so your product name should be printed vertically and not horizontally.

I have also contacted support re: touch US version stating all the same concerns. I feel Sonoff must redesign and ship out replacements to every US user starting with all of us who have complained.

This is a workaround:

Mount the touch utilizing a surface mount box

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Legrand-Wiremold-500-and-700-Series-4-8-in-Starter-Box-V5751/100030097

you do not need to use the silver plate but you must buy some 1.5" box screws while at the store. Eliminate the rectangular plastic mount plate from Sonoff and either grind holes in the HD box to accommodate the latches or just cut them off. Remove the decor plate from touch and drill two box screw holes in the switch then you can mount the touch to the surface mount box and the too long screws they used will not be a short danger. I also use 14awg silicone jacket ultra flexible stranded wire pigtails on the touch, this makes it much easier to install b ut you are left with a unit that protrudes like any surface mount switch would. There really is NOT enough room in a one gang for this touch to safely reside. THEY REALLY NEED TO REWORK THEIR US DESIGN AND I HAVE DEMANDED THIS IN MY SUPPORT TICKET.

Login or Signup to post a comment