Start a new topic

use sonoff device with another application - WITHOUT REFLASHING!!!

i want to write application to replace eweLink, but i dont want flash device.

is it possible?

i allready have mqtt server, app and any device.

i want to add sonoff to my system/app without flashing

10 people like this idea

Dear fyv, - Like you do, I not feel me comfortable to trust EweLink, in case where development solutions go to my customer. I like the idea from ITEAD, to build intelligent solutions, based one selected existing modules. 

If I over the next 2 years by/sell thousand of solutions, and so potently the customer/user not will be able to connect E-weLink - have seen many example at this yearly in this forum. It is bad business for all. 

What idea do you have to make a new connections platform? I do also have some server capacity available here, if we need some random security for the end user.

Sincerely

HCM Development

Norway

2 people like this
Awaiting

2 people like this

I too want this. A simple API would do the trick. Please release it.

1 person likes this

Hi, guys, did you manage to find a solution for this issue ? Has anyone managed to build his own app ?

1 person likes this

Doesn't make sense of how to have own APP without Reflashing.

Current software running on Sonoff contains MCU code for current APP.

For MCU to run another code, then the MCU must be programmed for such

In order to program MCU - flashing is the only method to upload your new program.

Sonoff FAQs point to ESP for such development.

- don't be so resistant to FAQs, they will help you.  Really.

There is plenty of evidence others have successfully accomplished own apps.

Strongly recommend

1 person likes this
Patrick, then an easier way to flash would make sense. Not having to solder would be good. Mqtt pre-installed would be great. I like the eWeLink app (great for some users in my household), but would love to use OpenHab in parallel. Would it not be easy to add this possibility with a simple firmware update? Love these products & own 22 by now... S20, POW, Basic & TH16 along with one SC...

MQTT without reflashing (and thereby loosing the eWeLink) has been mentioned in many posts. It would really solve a lot.

1 person likes this

#1 How about making the latest stock firmware available as .bin files so that users can recover the ewelink capability after flashing and experimenting with alternatives.  As it is now, flashing the device is a one way street with no way to restore original functionality.  No need to release the source code, just make the latest compiled firmware downloadable.  Almost all other devices like routers etc. provide a database of downloadable stock firmware for their products.

#2 Solder the 5 pin header as factory stock.  It couldn't add more than a few cents to the price.

1 person likes this

@Patrick actually it does make sense to use sonoff firmware with another app. And you can actually do it by telling to the device to use another server during the paring mode. See https://blog.ipsumdomus.com/sonoff-switch-complete-hack-without-firmware-upgrade-1b2d6632c01

Me I would like to keep the firmware and the sonoff app, and only have an API to send some command to the itead server in order to control my devices. Right now the only way would be to build a kind of proxy server between the device and the itead server. But it would bring some latency and most likely some issue...

Right now the Sonoff are using web socket and I doubt that one day they switch to MQTT. Maybe they could provide an MQTT interface on there server  but I also doubt about it. It would already be great to have a proper API before to even think about MQTT.

By the way, for flashing the Sonoff you don't need to do any soldering, you don't even need to open the Sonoff. You can just use OTA directly with the itead interface, like if you would update the firmware but instead you put your own firmare.

Login or Signup to post a comment