Start a new topic

WIoT-2 Weather Station and IoT Thing

Hey gang, just blogged about my updated weather IoT thing..  Displays weather forecast and a bunch of other stuff as well.

Link:  WIoT-2 Weather Station – Nextion TFT with ESP8266

1 person likes this idea

Here are the main features.  

• Display current and forecast weather information.  This time around, I used the Weather Underground API to pull both current and forecast data in JSON format.
  • Display weather data generated outside the house via another ESP unit.  It polls temp, humidity and battery info (it’s solar powered) – Integrated with Blynk.
  • Poll and display the temperature of the hot tub – Integrated with Blynk.
  • Poll and display the status of garage doors (open/closed) – will be integrated in the future – Also integrated with Blynk.
  • Allow our kids to interact with the unit – sends notifications via BlynkPolls waste collection calendar information to show us which waste items are being collected on a weekly basis.
  • Show the current date and time – uses Blynk RTC widget
  • I also added a picture viewer which shows family photos (for those times when people are bored standing at the door waiting for others…)

2 people like this

Hey Dave,

You put a lot of work into this.  Looks good by the way, nice job indeed

Dave, are the pictures for the picture viewer fixed to what you included in the HMI file?

Brian, is a $5 spot to expensive to find out the answer?

- Dave pointed out for a donation he would share his code.

- Just saying

I would remove the pictures from the viewer page.

A $5 donation is ridiculous... I donated $10 for all that great work!!  Thanks again Dave.

It is nice to see support.  Inspiring.

Paul, appreciate the generous donation.  I've sent off the sketch and HMI.

Dave

Dave, just wanted to say that was a well invested $10.  I won't use all the code but just the time it will save me!  What can I say but thanks again for making this available. :)

Dave, quick question.  You use a NodeMCU v1.0 board but it looks like you are flashing it as a regular ESP8266.  Is this correct?

Nope, I flash using the NodeMCU 1.0.  Here's an Instructable showing how to get it in your Boards file.  Also, I've been using the NodeMCU Mini lately.. Nice small package and has more than enough pins for this type of project.

1 person likes this

Dave, I new realize that the 5" display is much higher resolution than the 4.3" units I have.  Any chance you can send me the original art (minus the lovely pics of the kids) so I can scale them accordingly?  Thanks!

Since I created it, I'll send you the original background. It's the only one you should need to scale. Can't send the others due to copyright.

Dave,  thanks!  I'll give that a shot.  Perhaps it's also time to get a 5" or 7" unit! ;)

Login or Signup to post a comment