Start a new topic

Control Sonoff without Internet

Hallo

maybe this is a wellknown question:

can I control my sonoff device (Sonoff - ITEAD WiFi Wireless Smart Switch Module ABS Shell Socket for Home DIY, ebay nr.: 272301663052) without any internet connection?

Just with wget commands or similar?

Thanks

frank

13 people like this idea

Not without flashing your device with different firmware.

iTead could avoid a lot of hassle if they told us what to use for http commands post/get.......

I guess they're afraid of losing a customer base.

The fact is they would gain far more then they lost.

Not everyone is comfortable with flashing their devices.

6 people like this

@Patrick  Martin,

I don't want a customized program. If I did I'd make it.

When I first got my Sonoff it was never stated I needed to create my own custom interface to get simple local control. Nor was it advertised as a DIY project board as the device Frank points too. Nor was it stated I would have to flash the device and use additional hardware in order to get local control.

I don't blame iTead for their platform choice and users looking for this aren't asking iTead to change their app.

The Sonoff gets from the server a simple request to turn on or off, that's all the info in most cases that is wanted.

3 people like this
@Patrick Martin
The security is my most concern, why I want to control the device only in my own LAN.
If the chinese control server would be my own server I would not think about it. But a server with uncontrollable data exchange which has even my WiFi access is a kind of an unsecure thing. I would prefer that I don't need to open my local network to some unknown service.
This is my main concern.

2 people like this

any NEWS ?

2 people like this
I guess, if the commands were only a simple get or post via unencrypted http (and not https etc.) then it would be very easy to just sniff these simple commands (with Wireshark) and the answer to my question could be found often in this forum or others.
But the command is done most likely in some encrypted way, so it could be very difficult or just impossible to find it as iTead doesn't want to release that information to the user (which is now obvious to me, by which reason ever).
And as I have not the time to test this (sniff etc.) and as I think others had tried anyway and in vain, I just use sonoff "as it is" - like Google "use it as it is or just don't use it, it is not to discuss" ;)
After all sonoff is very cheap and very fast to use.
Thanks

1 person likes this
Just packed up 4 switches and 4 lights swiches they are back to amazon tommorow with a demand to withdraw this junk from sale its obvious from all correspondence the local request dates back over a year and nothing done this is sale under false pretences and we are all entitled to compensation and our money back

1 person likes this

Andrew, i got updated from the tech support and said they haven't developed yet the firmware version in which it can control via local wifi.

1 person likes this

Hi

Did any one get success to setup Sonoff POW without internet ? Please share instructions . 

1 person likes this
I need my sonoff switch only at home. So there is no need at all for a internet connection, wifi would do it.
But I understand, if sonoff would release the local commands, they would loose the control over their devices and that is surely not what they want.

@frank

I have the same question. it would be easier for me to spread out the sonoff devices for my future / upcoming projects if they are working without internet connection.

Most of my clients asked me if the systems work without internet because some of the areas in their places have intermittent internet connection. 

i would love to push through this project if the developer would change the design in which can control through a local router with unplugged WAN connection.

and the product finds me very affordable and easy to install.;)

@frank

Local access by home LAN without an external Internet Service provider using wifi is already done.

- various firmwares have already been published by interested groups

- Books have even been written on the subject, and included Sonoff devices within the books

- YouTube has many videos purporting success, some even fair tutorials, few on safety.

Programming firmware, hacking the Sonoff, all that is required is knowledge and the skills.

HOWEVER

- High Voltage in the hands of the unknowledgeable and less skilled is  DANGEROUS! 

Would Itead (or anyone for that matter) want to have such a liability - No.

As such, there should be no question why such is not "officially" supported.

The Sonoff software is more than some cheap Arduino script trick

- as such the development of carried a high cost to develop

- when people like to have continued line of products with growing capabilities

these costs for further development have to offset by profits - or development dies.

If Sonoff would release their commands, I think security issues become a concern

- hackers would now have publically posted command formats, structures, etc

- who knows what would happen to your home if such became common knowledge

There is more than one valid reason why such is not a simple public release

But it is indeed childish approach to make statements like "they'd loose control"

as a attempt to get something (as if for free no less), such is not motivating.

As stated knowledge and skill has already produced your desired result.

Now @Henning

A Carrier does not equal The Internet. 

big-I Internet is the Network of Networks most commonly used.

small-i internet is more than one network, connected using Internet Protocol IP.

There are indeed Carriers that offer services on their Network without Data Plans.

- such would not be connected to the Internet

Likewise there are Service providers that provide Data Services on their own network

- again, isolated from the public Internet (mostly for security reasons against hackers)

such old school examples included CompuServ and AOL

such newer examples include military, transportation, taxis, couriers, and corporate.

Another example was when governments cut Internet during protest

- and yet innovative coders created their own non-Internet Network

Long before cellular, there were many means to pass data over multiple paths

- routing is all about multiple data paths and supplying path route that currently works best

But when a home is reliant on having a connection

- perhaps invest into multiple service providers.

- cellular carriers sold the concept of cutting landlines

- as such it removed the redundancy needed for availability you now seek.

If an api was published sonoff could be controlled by home automation gateways like domoticz which aggregates different systems ( much more variety than sonoff has or can ever do ). If that was the case i would not buy zwave switches since sonoff are cheaper.

@frank

I am certain that "easy" and unencrypted communications should not desirable for home automation in such an age of hacking via the Internet.  Some form of authentication should be most desired to ensure only you as owner is in control of your household appliances.  I could think of many scenarios where an unencrypted access could lead to many undesired and perhaps even dangerous situations (dependent to what is being controlled).

As I specialize in Nextion and not Sonoff (as clearly stated above), my opinions stated here should not be interpreted as which directions or intentions that Itead or the Sonoff team has.  I am not privy to their intentions.  I was merely pointing out that local control can and has been achieved by some, and some considerations to make before embarking to do so.

I never said Frank pointed to a non DIY product it was clearly stated in his OP it was. Thus my OP stating the need for flashing. Sorry if my response to you Patrick, wasn't worded more clearly, It is obvious it wasn't. 

So this circles back to the question I asked earlier.

Was there ever somewhere it was advertised that local control was a feature?

- have I missed this aspect somewhere?

Login or Signup to post a comment