Start a new topic

Power and Documentation Issues

"Patrick Martin

said an hour ago

USB adapter is only for testing Nextion works under a proper power supply and verify USB cable is good.

(as is shown in the data sheet for your Nextion model).

Seeking out a ground on the Nextion board, you sound like you will soon accomplish frying your Nextion.

Instead create a header for sharing ground, or perhaps devote a row on a breadboard.

Or even create a simple Y adapter to share your ground."

Thank you for belittling me, after 40 years as an engineer it is always nice to be put in ones place by those that can't understand basic electronics. 

No matter what you say, the software is on a PC, a PC that connects to the Nextion over USB, the USB to TTL adapter used by most is an FTDI and it passes the +5 volt from USB to the Nextion. On older computers that means ~500ma for the Nextion so an easy fix while developing is to add a 2 amp +5 supply for the Nextion but that means throwing away your 'Test Plug' (or removing and switching the header to the bottom of the 'Test Plug') or using a breadboard friendly power supply. So what I'm stuck with now is dedicating a breadboard, and power supply while programming the Nextion, all because of one pin on a USB to DIP PIN adapter. 

FYI: The proper response to my rant would have been something like:

We understand your frustration with not having the time to read everything we have published about hooking the Nextion device up before you attempted to, we will in the future make a Quick Start Guide to explain the non-standard communication protocol and add a ground pin to our power adapter so others can get to work in minutes learning about programming the Nextion.

Have a nice day "Patrick Martin"

Well, it most certainly wasn't meant to belittle you.  Just a reality that they won't be producing such a three prong to extend the usefulness of the usb board.  Extending its usefulness might be logical since it would be too easy to place one more pin.  But I hold by it would not be a great idea going after a ground point on the Nextion itself - the Nextion is way too sensitive, and this board documents many fried Nextions.

Yes, my response wasn't sugar coated.  But hopes for "proper documentation" has been on the dream list of almost all users, for quite some time.  Since it also doesn't seem to be so likely that such proper documentation will be quickly coming, such Quick Start Guides would need to be created by the users.

Personally I am already stretched between the ZI Font Editor, HMI/TFT utilities, while working towards another version of the firmware -- as well as answering questions here on the board.  Waiting for staff responses is generally weeks, if not months, so If I don't respond - my observation is very few get any questions answered if any at all.

Just to debate your point of "the software is on a PC ... with a USB connection", that is not always the case - specifically for those doing it over wifi.  Just saying.  There are many approaches being taken by the user base with just about every MCU you can think of - but a lot of Arduino questions on here.

It IS a non standard communication protocol, that for the clever allows them to create their own protocol, many poorly defined - but works for their purposes.  It also is not a programming language and doesn't really use objects - though many prompts might lead you to think it does - it is misleading.  The compile also is not compiling, but rather organizing for a sequential interpreter.  There aren't events per se, but rather a few interrupts.  But overall, the Nextion is a fun device to play with.

You have my apology for your misunderstanding.  I am just another user with a deeper understanding on how the Nextion actually works, and find out what is coming before most (I have been playing with v0.39 for a week now, it will soon be released).  I am not staff, bound by some expectations of some customer service policies, and I find that when I try to mince words, it never worked well with Google Translate.

So I sincerely hope that after you have selected your grounding solution, that you can become comfortable with the Nextion in its limited documentation, non-standard protocol and its not an object, non-conforming programming language ... because it really is a fun device to play with.

If you have questions, simply post them - you'll find that I am usually the only one trying to answer.

Regards

To help on the documentation, the most comprehensive docs containing all of the commands and error codes are attached in the pdfs below.  There are error codes listed in the documentation in the pdf that are missing on the Nextion Instruction Set.  Yeah, I don't read or write Chinese either, so I actually do know what you mean.

But again, when you give the Nextion a fair shake, it is a good device and a lot of fun.

pdf
(76.6 KB)
pdf
(814 KB)
pdf
(693 KB)

I did forget to mention that the Nextion can be programmed by microSD card. 

This requires a microSD 32GB or under that is formatted as Fat32. 

The "compiled" TFT file for the correspondin HMI project can be found by opening the file menu, and selecting Open Build Folder. This TFT file can be transferred to an empty formatted microSD. 

It is an error to try and load a TFT via microSD if the microSD contains more than one file on the card

Your ,tft file MUST be the only file on the card. 

If errors start occurring, it is recommended to reformat the microSD card.

After copying the tft file to the microSD.

- Power off the Nextion device

- Insert the microSD card into the socket on the back of the Nextion

- Power up the Nextion device,

The boot loader having detected an inserted card then takes over and loads the TFT file.

Once completed and the screen shows "Update Successed!"

- Power down, remove the microSD card, and Power up again.

The TFT file should now be running on the Nextion device.

Regarding all uses of the microSD: the above procedure is the only use for the microSD.

I will soon be able to prove the point for "the software is on a PC ... with a USB connection".

The Nextion device will be connected over serial to an ESP-8285.  (PSF-A85 modules sold here)

The HMI design typically done within the Nextion Editor, will be accomplished via HTML over wifi to an Intel Edison MCU.  The Edison running linux will be able to create the TFT files and update over wifi.

This project eliminates the PC, the USB connection, an FTDI / usb2rs232 and the Nextion Editor.

Except for the 5V powering the Nextion's display, it would use native 3.3V logic for communications.

Just saying with regards to the PC/USB point. 

But my project is simple compared to Bayram Güran's project which modifies his '98 BMW E36.

Thanks Patrick

It is making more and more sense.

I love to play with the little display.

Login or Signup to post a comment