Start a new topic

Suggest that Itead sell a version of Sonoff devices with third-party open source firmware

I would like to suggest that Itead Studio reach out to open source software communities and make a collaboration deals with example the people at esp8266.nu who make the third-party firmware called “ESP Easy” for ESP8266 based devices.

The “ESP Easy” firmware have become quite common use in the part of the home automation cummunity that use open source software, in particual when used in combination with popular open source home automation software like Domoticz and OpenHAB. Reason for this being that the “ESP Easy” firmware is stand-alone and very easy to get started with and configure, and it works out-of-the-box with most popular sensors avilable.

My suggestion is that Itead could for example sell the entire Sonoff series in two versions; with one version flashed with your own firmware and the second version flashed with example the “ESP Easy” firmware. http://www.esp8266.nu/index.php/ESPEasy

Or alternativly you could help the people at esp8266.nu to setup their webshop in China that could sell OEM rebranded Sonoff devices pre-flashed with the “ESP Easy” firmware, and distrubuted by Itead distrobution center the same way as all other Sonoff devices.

Either way Itead will probably sell much more devices who really like the Sonoff hardware but (no offence) do not want to use Itead cloud software and instead prefer an open source firmware.

ESPEasy firmware is stand-alone firmware that does not rely on the cloud, so you can use it even without the internet, and since the Easy Esp is fully open source software people can read the code and make modifications to it as a community: http://github.com/ESP8266nu/ESPEasy

7 people like this idea

Hi, if i switch back, whre i can find the master copy from sonoff? Thanks

1 person likes this

Hello, would it be possible to know which communication protocol, and the set of instructions that Ewelink uses when connecting to devices from the intranet ??

Thank you.

1 person likes this
Doesn't look like this forum is monitored much as there seems to be no response to a lot of questions ;)
I am not sure what you expect from a "Feature Request" Forum? Feture Requests are neither FreeChat topics for open discussion nor are they Questions to be answered, they are what they are, Requests ...

- a Request is made ...
- the Request is noticed ...

- all further for you is, just to wait until your Request maybe became truth ... or not ...

BUT we have a strict "No VaporWare Policy ..."

sorry, when we have something to publish, we will be the very first who will do ...

We won't state any about things which are not finished. It wouldn't be very seriouse to give any ETA or other promise, which we maybe can't fulfill ... too many things can happen which may influence a given workflow ...

And there is nothing more bad than delay a given promise ... so, we just don't do ... sorry ...

so, for Feature Requests, surely no answer, no statements, nothing to discuss ...

and if somebody think he must additionally ask a question inside the "Feature Request" Forum, sorry, that's just the WRONG forum ... nobody will answer them there ...

Just stay tuned ...

Login or Signup to post a comment