Start a new topic
Not Taken

Arduino + Nextion

Why you not make Nextion display, with Atmega 328 on board ?

like an enhancement display ; that help us a lot !

who is us? And where do you see the advantage of an Atmega over an STM32 ???? Embedded world is NOT Arduino !!! If you can't programm, both are useless ... the better strategy is surely, to learn to use what you have ...

Maybe an x86 based HMI would be great, with embedded .NET 4.0 to attract all VisualBasic users ... and all in 16K Flash ...  :-)

1 person likes this

Why not make it with the Atmega 328 ... ?  Hmmm

• 328 has 32K flash - F030 has 64K flash - so 328 is 1/2 the system flash.  If users complain now about it not doing enough now, I can imagine complaints when there is no room for the HMI.
  • 328 is max 20 MHz - F030 is 48 MHz - so 328 is less than 1/2 (41.6%) the speed.  Users complain about it not being fast enough now, so imagine things taking 2.5 times longer to complete.
  • 328 is 2K SRAM - F030 is 8K SRAM - so only 1/4 of the RAM.  Currently the Nextion splits SRAM between your HMI design and Firmware allowing your HMI 3584 Bytes (assumes firmware is occupying the other 4.5K) so on 2K there is zero left for your HMI project and the Nextion fails to boot.  (in fairness, the 328 has 1K EEPROM but 1K + 2K still insufficient - Nextion fails to boot).
  • 328 is 8 bit - F030 is 32 bit, a further disadvantage costing more SRAM/Flash to do the same.
  • 328 has Max 23 IO lines, F030 is currently uses more, so what ditch the flash and microSD card.

Why would you want an ATMega 328 version over the STMF030?

1 person likes this

ok, my mistake on expression !

I do not want to Replace  the STMF030, just add an arduino to have advantage of this (like IO ports) in a compact device ; but goes near him if not..

Okay, I can accept that - not replaced but added.

But then the next question would become - why an ATMega 328 and why not just another STM32F0?

Or perhaps a more powerful chip than the STM32F0

But then you would run into PIC lovers, TI lovers, and ESP lovers, and how would you choose which?

Producing in Quantity keeps unit costs low, producing one offs very expensive (just ask Itead via a Service Ticket what custom board will be - they make them, on a min order qty of 5 PCB prototyping)

And then you realize that the easiest least expensive way to accommodate any and all MCUs is with two copper wires which is exactly what Nextion has done via Rx/Tx and everyone programs their favorite MCU in their favorite language and adds extra components (or be able to skip the costs of unnecessary components by not adding them)  as their projects see fit.  Each with as much or as little as they want.

ATMega 328 I say, because it is more popular, and many project can be "adapted" but, for sure,

STM32F0 is more powerful, or others.

From that point of view and with costs , you have absolute right: 2 wire and everyone does whatever they want  :)

I was thinking to be integrated with display to eliminate interference, noise and potential differences induced by connecting wires, and to be more compact, that's all.

And that is why I linked to PCB prototyping and pointed out the min order quantity of 5.  Itead will have some sort of charge for assembly (they will do that part too), and even have services for custom 3D printing.  They have helped a few Kickstarter Campaigns get started because of having a low minimum order quantity. 

So, again I am pointing out that there are options for you to actually have a 328 embedded while the mainstream remains two-wire mainstream.  But you'll have to open a New Service Ticket (above: top right) and speak directly with them.

BTW, if you are to consider going a custom board route, Note that Itead also has the ESP-8285 which is an upgraded ESP-8266 (wifi) for about $2.10 US on the site front page.  It too is mainstream, uses the same tools as the ESP-8266 (with a few configuration changes) and strips away the need to have to connect an SPI flash as the chip has the SPI 1MB flash module embedded.  It runs at 80 MHz, and leaves about 3/4MB after firmware and TCP/IP stack are loaded.  So you could start to envision a wireless Nextion Display that supports b/g/n and could hotspot with 4 devices all while being connected to the Net.  Not Arduino though.

1 person likes this

I am now reviewing all of the Feature Requests, this will take some time, patience please.

Although this wasn't a real feature request, it is now marked as reviewed.

Login or Signup to post a comment