Start a new topic

Has anyone compared refresh rate of standard vs enhanced?

I'm trying to create a HMI project on a 5" standard nextion - however the screen can't update the information I need fast enough. Was hoping the enhanced model would be faster - nextion support just say it's faster, but say they have no information as to how much!

Not great support, so was hoping someone here who had both models or the enhanced 5" could run some tests?

Thanks,

James

Disclaimer: No I haven't compared.

The specs of the 5" Basic, the MCU is running at 48MHz

In the 5" Enhanced, the MCU is suppose to be 108MHz

There are probably other issues that you need to deal with.

How many updates do you need, how many are you getting

What is the root cause of your update being choked.

I've done lots of testing, it looks like  a pure pixel>screen rate issue - not a serial one, if you do the tests with just one giant gauge fullscreen with a single serial command for example you struggle to get 3fps. They've upped the CPU, but not sure if the bottleneck was here, or in the TFT driver. Still unsure why Itead don't know themselves! I guess they must outsource the design...

So why are you trying to update a full screen gauge (NX 5.0" 800x480 384000 pixels, 768000 bytes).

Assume you must be able to get away with 10% top and bottom 48 pixels that don't need to be updated when the gauge dial moves, assume you probably could get away with trimming 25% left and right 200 pixels - you would be at most 40% (153600 pixels, 307200 bytes) that may need updating.

Crop images, line drawing, picture swapping on smaller portions of the screen - full screen should only ever need to be drawn once on updating the page ... sounds like there are many ways to optimize and squeeze more performance in your HMI design.

PS: think FLASH over SPI ... you have ~188 page calls of 4K each to fetch your full screen image on each update of your full screen gauge.  Unless of course, you were merely benchmarking and finding your limit.

The fullscreen is just a test example, I have about 20 gauge/text objects updating on screen.Some of the text objects need to be large - I'm employng all sorts of update on change, masking, and interlacing strategies - but still haven't produced a smooth  looking display...

Also the larger the font a little less performance.  In a case where 3 HUGE digits used as a MPH display, the size of the 80x160 font causes issues.  Changing the need to update all three digits simultaneously (n0.val=103) to only as needed with some if else statements and a text component for each digit certainly cut 60% of the time to update.

That's probably the most I can comment without knowing what you are working with and an HMI

Thanks Patrick - appreciate it,

Was rather hoping the faster CPU would give x% more headroom!

Login or Signup to post a comment