Start a new topic

Using SD card for saving/reading files with variables

Hi to all, I'm using Nextion display in association with general ESP8266 board and I would like to use this combination as a datalogger. Is it possible to use SD card for storing simple files with comma separated values sent from ESP8266 board? I haven´t found appropriate command to achieve this, but there could be some option, if it is actually possible to read from file on FATxx file system. Thanks for your reply.

3 people like this idea

HMI means Human Machine Interface, and the magic word is Interface ...

for a standard HMI interface, you even don't need a SD-card or Flash Memory ... sorry ...

by default, Nextion displays offer a HMI concept by design. Even a small STM is used for underlaying work, even a standard gLCD panel is part of, the Nextion neither offer all STM available things to outside nor is it a standalone Arduino replacement nor is it a replacement for any simple gLCD out. It is what it is, a HMI concept. A Human Machine Interface.

It is out of scope of any HMI concept, to take over heavy duty calculation parts. It is also out of scope of any HMI display to offer all available graphic primitives of a simple gLCD.

In theory, many things besides HMI can be done.

- you can implement whole arcade style games in your Nextion
- you even can calculate Prime numbers on your Nextion
- you even can process a serial SQL query if you like

But again, the Nextion HMI was NEVER designed to do so, so don't expect so. As a HMI component, the Nextion should be used for the Interfacing part, and the machining part should really stay on the machine aka MCU ..

And for saving some setup data, the used 1K Flash is more than enough ...

Yes, for a fishing box it's probably enough!

every tool is only as good as you learned to use it ...

learning is indeed users responsibility ...

even a bigger flash wont increase your skills how to do things ...

and there are many examples and demos out which shows usage far away from a fishing box ...

if you can't do more than a fishing box, sorry that's nothing you should blame your tools ...

the limiting factor is probably you and not your toolset ...

The size of memory has nothing to do with my skills.

If a spokesman for Itead always defends Itead, it will never come any further development.

I have never thought of making any fishing box.

Indeed it has, sorry. If you can't do something with the existing, this won't mean that there is too less available, it also just can mean, that your skills are too less to do things with the existing ...

Go to "Stump the Jump" Challenge, and see if you can solve all challenges by yourself ...
Go to "Games Corner" and see if you can do things on yourself ...
and, and, and ...

and what's more easy to connect your own SPI Flash or I2C Flash to your mcu? In any size you like ...

I don't worry about development, be sure we have many other more useful on the plate ...

Well, not exactly issue of "spokesman of Itead"

When your requested quantity is of sufficient amount

you can even request such an upgrade of EEPROM or Flash size

Itead has already made such an offer publically available.

Even such upgrade of EEPROM size, for what is needed above 1K

EEPROM and mass storage is usually function of user MCU

or do you also have EEPROM and microSD storage in desktop monitor

- if so, which make and model monitor do you have?

But this has nothing to do with microSD card use

Gerry Kropf.

I think you are rude and arrogant who attack my program skills when I ask for more storage opportunities. You can not know what I've have done before! I can annoy you that I have used 24LC256 for 20 years for my applications for Midi Accordions.

To make up opinions about people on this way you do I see doubtful! I do not need more answers from you. What you answer I know before. You do not need to teach me anything!

I'm just asking for improvements for Nextion Displays!

I have no problem for use SD card or I2c eeprom for a MCU.

Patrik Martin answers questions on a more constructive and serious manner. Without attacking people.

truth and facts are never really comfortable ...

I never stated anything about your skills, sorry, but maybe reading a bit more carefully is a good start...

"it also just can mean, that your skills are too less to do things with the existing ..." spots on a possibility ... and nobody seriouse can exclude such ... even not me or Patrick ...

The only offending was your statement

"Yes, for a fishing box it's probably enough!"

from such an experienced user I would have expected a bit more qualified statement ...

to give the impression, that with current hardware configuration nothing more can be done than a "fishing box" is misleading and just wrong. And most bad, you know it, because you (as stated) indeed do already some other things than a "fishing box" ...

for the record, the 24LC256 was introduced by MicroChip in February 16th. 1998, together with the 24AA256 ...

you must have a good connection to MicroChip to get some working 24LC256 before they even have been introduced to market ... :-)

I will lock this thread, because this discussion has nothing to do with a Feature Request. All about the initial is told, no need to ask again.

"No VaporWare Policy ..."

sorry, when we have something to publish, we will be the very first who will do ...

We won't state any about things which are not finished. It wouldn't be very seriouse to give any ETA or other promise, which we maybe can't fulfill ... too many things can happen which may influence a given workflow ...

And there is nothing more bad than delay a given promise ... so, we just don't do ... sorry ...

Just stay tuned ...