Start a new topic

GPIO connector on Enhanced Nextion display

What kind of cable/connector should we use with the GPIO connector on the Enhanced Nextion display ?

https://www.itead.cc/display/nextion.html

2 people like this idea

I think the connector they use is this 1-84952-0 from TE Connectivity. It is a FFC cable that you can find easily in any electronics provider.

1 person likes this
If you order a 10 pin 1.0mm pitch FPC cable (similar to this) it works fine. Most any 10 pin 1.0mm pitch FPC connector (sometimes called FFC) will work for the other end if you are making your own PCB to hold it. All I've seen are SMD. The same store that I linked to above also has pre-made PCBs so you can solder your own adapter together without making your own PCB first.

1 person likes this

Really for my proyect I don't want to use the expansion board. I need the space in a little box for the arduino and bluetooth module. I have to put a waterproof box for controlling three electrical ball valves in a boat and I only want the display to controll all of this and the display GPIOs only for emergency in the case that arduino doesn't work.

Again....It is incredible that they doesn't sell a special cable for the I/Os or make standard pins in the display !!!!

Hello again,

Well !!! The Iteadstudio answer me and told that in my case the expansion board is included free. In other case I have to buy the expansion board apart. Weeks ago I suppose that it is not included. In any case when before I bought this display (that I didn't receive yet) I ask Iteadstudio what it is included, and told me exactly the same things that now: the display the cable TX/RX, the cable to connect GPIOs, It was good for me. When I saw the answer of Filipe that didn't receive any cable I resend a ticket and they told me the same.

And about to use a cable for GPIOs without the expansion board they told me this morning that "it's difficult to use without the expansion board"...

Scruf...It is true that the FPC flat ribbon cables are made with cuts along exactly for the special connector but When It arrives to me here I will try to do one to work with the display without the expansion board. I will tell you the results. I have a lot of this old pinter cables and I will try.

Raphael...The image that I send here in the forum is the image that the support dpt sent me when I ask them if the cable it's included. And then I can't send a better image yet. when I receive this one I send more photos for the possibility of doing one DIY.

The other solution is to let the expansion board in the Iteadstudio shop. The only problem is the transport that it is more expensive than the board!!!

They told me that sent me this image due to is included, free of charge, the expansion board with the enhanced displays.

Does this mean they should have sent us one of these boards WITH each display?

I wouldn't say no to this tho'

These FPC flat ribbon cables come prefabed with the respective number of "pins" with an extra sturdy part on each end to push it into the connector.

I don't think you can use any ribbon cable and just push the wires in there.

They should at least provide something like this (only 10 pin) along with the cable with each display.

1 person likes this

1024 bytes eeprom is not enough for my applications.
That should be no problem to combine SD card to save and
load user data. For example, using different SD card load firmware
and user data. Or delete xxx.tft file after use..

Hello Scruff...You have the reason. This people sent me the image wrong or not. I sent a new message and told me that the only cable is this with expansion board. I told him that I dont want to use this expansion board while I use the IO pins and I need a cable alone, and I am waiting for the answer.

They told me that sent me this image due to is included, free of charge, the expansion board with the enhanced displays.

It is incredible!!!

I think you have to use some ribbon parallel cable and cut 10 cables of the complete ribbon!!! I would do that. It is incredible that they doesnt supply some standard rigid pins as Arduino!!

That is a photo of the GPIO board and not of the display.

I've got two 3.2" enhanced displays and there is no flat ribbon cable with either of them.

I send the photo again due to the other is impossible to see the cable.

Hello again Filipe. You have to see the package that you received to search a white and blue cable like the image that I attach. If you don't have it I think you have to send a ticket to the support line here. They are very quick.

Saudos,

Lorenzo

Bos dias Filipe,

!!! Two minutes ago I asked again about it. I closed my ticket for this question but I opened again for your answer.

I think that you also have to send a ticket to solve this question.

Un saudo,

Lorenzo

Ciao LORENZO,

I received my 2 enchanced screens last week and no GPIO cable!! Only classic cable for PS and RX/TX

Hello,

About the same question of Raphael, my new enhanced display doesn't arrived yet and I not sure what include but I just received an answer from Iteadstudio, and told me that the cable to connect the GPIOs is included with the enhanced display, and about to save information in the SD Card, it is not possible yet. Only is for uploading a program in *.tft format from the PC to the display.

Sleeping ITEAD Team again?
There are 14 days ago since Raphaël opened this topic.
This evokes little confidence!!!

One would expect to have infos about how to access GPIOs, RTC, EEPROM and all the other enhanced features BEFORE you dump the devices on customers that actually have bought the devices for these features!

See also this

http://support.iteadstudio.com/support/discussions/topics/11000004047

http://support.iteadstudio.com/support/discussions/topics/11000004139

Login or Signup to post a comment