Start a new topic

Remote on off button

I made a modification to one of my Sonoff's See the pictures above.

This allows me to have a momentary push button wired to the Sonoff to turn it off/on or pair a remote control to it. The push button can be some distance away from the Sonoff

The reason I did this is because I intend to install the sonoff in the roof space of my house connected to a light circuit. I will then run the low voltage wire to my push button light switch on the wall of the room.

I can then activate the lights by either the wall switch, the 433mHz remote, or my phone.

It would be good if this was a standard feature of the Sonoff. It only requires installation of a terminal block connector socket and some openings made in the casing.

Regards

Ian

20 people like this idea

This is great Ian, it's exactly what I've been trying to achieve! I would love to see this as a feature out of the box as well.

In the meantime., do you mind sharing the parts you used to make this modification? And the type of switch you plan to use externally?

Hi bobbytod 

It worked well. I intend to do it to other lights in the house.

The only one part is needed, a 2 pin terminal block which you can off ebay or your local electronics shop.

Because of the limited space I could only glue it to the board. The wifi antenna is on the other side so so holes could not be drilled in the board. The terminal is wired to the existing push button board connections. 

The hardest part was cutting out the holes neatly in the casing with a scalpel.

The push button switch just needs to be a low voltage momentary type (cannot be latching). I haven't found one to match my normal wall switches yet but have used one like in the picture.If you find one that matches normal house switches please let me know.

Ian

1 person likes this

Thanks for the reply Ian - got those terminal blocks on order already. Local Melbourne supplier so shouldn't take long ;)

With regard to the switch itself - I have seen the Clipsal Impress range marketed alongside Z-wave in-wall modules, which makes me think they are low voltage, but not having played with z-wave, i cant be sure.

Would be great if they can work though, they are relatively cheap and fit in the existing wall plates at my house.

The attached photo has the Clipsal Saturn (same as the impress but fancier and more expensive) alongside a z-wave module. Looking at how it's wired, can you tell if its low voltage?

png

Thanks that switch seems like what I've been looking for. I would prefer white rather than metallic but its still better than what I already have.

Its not possible to tell from the picture if the switch is low or high voltage. It doesn't matter if its high voltage though. I only used a low voltage switch because they're cheap and its only switching low voltage (from memory when I checked it with a meter it was 12v) A high-voltage switch would also work as long as its a momentary type. 

I'll check out one of the local electrical wholesalers to see if they have those clipsal switches. Should be easy to tell if its momentary since momentary switches do not click or latch. The agent should be able to confirm that. 

Cheers

Ian

Awesome! The Clipsal Impress is white and come in 1-gang up to 6-gang i think. Are you in Australia?

1 person likes this

I think these would work better actually. Also clip into the wall plates. 

1 person likes this

That looks like the ticket. I just found them on the website

Unfortunately I think they're latching type. I can't find out on the website whether they're momentary or latching. No mention of it in the specs. 

I'll keep looking

Yep and they will clip straight into the existing wall plate.

(previous post was referring to your post on clipsal impress)

Nice

Think I might still check them out at the electrical wholesalers. I just don't trust that they are really momentary. Besides it takes a couple of weeks to get stuff on ebay to where I live and the I can get them today from the wholesalers (probably at an inflated price)

I ordered a similar momentary switch (Clipsal compatible) for quite cheap. I expect to take delivery before the weekend. Will let you know how it goes.

Can I ask, what type of glue did you use to fix the connector to the board?

I used hot melt glue. But in retrospect I think I should have used epoxy. The hot melt glue could come unattached with the torque of a screwdriver on it. I was careful screwing the wires in the first one and I had lots glue on it but I'll use epoxy on the next one I mod. 

I find with epoxy's the 5 minute gives the best results. The 30 minute epoxy can be brittle and crack under pressure.

Ian

I completely agree. This is a cheap change to be implemented bringing a huge benefit. 

Exposing this terminals, we would be able to replace legacy switches with momentary switches connected to them, so we keep the pre existent local control (wired), using also the existent infra structure (boxes, wires..).

Very useful when you want automation but you have also old fashion people at home.

1 person likes this

Hello,

I am trying to achieve this as well (and I am sorry for my terrible english). I have up and down wall switches not momentary switch, what I want to ask you is if you could share more detail about your project cause I do not understand where i should put this momentary switches and how i can connect them to my new sonoff  terminal block connector (are they wired till sonoff?!), should only the momentary switch be connected? And the legacy switch totaly disconnected from my home electric network?

Could you as well share your sonoff configuration to achieve this?

Hope you can support me been struggling with this for a few days now :(

Thank you

Login or Signup to post a comment