Start a new topic

Control Sonoff devices without internet could / MQTT

Is there any official way to configure Sonoff devices to talk with private home automation controllers (like OpenHAB, Home Assitant, tec.) instead of public cloud service that is used by eWeLink?

This page suggests that Sonoff is possible to work with MQTT:

"Sonoff - WiFi Wireless Smart Switch for MQTT COAP Smart Home"

https://www.itead.cc/sonoff-wifi-wireless-switch.html

How can I configure my Sonoffs to talk with MQTT broker hosted in my LAN? Later via MQTT it can be intergated with other applications.

I saw some alternative firmware projects, don't know how reliable they are, but is there anything official from ITEAD?

44 people like this idea

@Andrew C, can you please provide more details on your setup - I'm Homeseer user as well and want to use Sonoff relays.

is there any news? Does the company plan to add official support for MQTT? Where can I find this information? I would not like to reflash all devices.

The problem is that the regular scripts are very low-functional and do not have interrelations with other devices.

Hi,

From capturing packets between  eWelink and cloud I found that there is no any security encryprions, there is 80 and 8080 ports and there is no HTTPS, TLS. 

May be new versions are more effecient ?>

Timur.

Guys, pls remember to 'Like' the top parent comment from Motueka, for this to be even visible to ITead. MQTT locally on LAN is a must for serious home automation integration. I would love this natively supported without reflashing. To enable OpenHab with MQTT and/or NodeRed. Better integration with many other IoT suite of devices.

Maybe one day ITEAD can bill for the service to command the sonoff?

because today the service is totally free, right?

I did see that ITEAD recently made it so one could control Sonoff devices without the Internet connection (i.e., LAN only) (I abandoned eWeLink long ago so I can't comment on how that works exactly). So they heard that message.

But ITEAD is not heeding any of these requests for MQTT support. In addition, even though they promote in some of their marketing that the devices can be user modified, they've taken many steps to make it harder and harder to do so. First it was ending the ability to OTA any firmware onto the device. Then, the protocol that once allowed things like simple_sonoff_server to mimic the eWeLink cloud on one's LAN was changed. Then they started sealing up the PCB connector holes with solder to make it more difficult to make one's own connections.

There are companies like Allterco Robotics making a line of inexpensive Shelly branded smart switches (Sonoff Basic ~$5, Shelly 1 ~$10) that support MQTT in the factory firmware. Some of their devices even come with an easy to connect external set of pins to easily flash their device with custom firmware if one prefers. Those devices that don't have an externally exposed "flashing" header can still be flashed by accessing the internal PCB. My point, there are alternatives. Competition is good for the consumer, i.e., us!

The Internet is very clever. simple_sonoff_server was a brilliantly simple solution evolved by the hive mind. Or the myriad of custom firmware solutions (e.g., TASMOTA) that make automation using MQTT straightforward. ITEAD can try and try to stop us. Instead, they should join the effort and prosper by increasing sales by encouraging the maker community rather than try to shut it down. Otherwise, we'll find alternatives (e.g., Shelly).

There are also several solderless solutions shared on the Internet:

Login or Signup to post a comment