Smart Home FAQs

User Manual

1. How to use Sonoff and eWeLink?
Answer: Please scan the QR code on the box of your products to read the manual. Please refer to following links:

How to use eWeLink? (Note: if you are a newbie, you should first learn how to use the app)

Note: please note that our APP keeps updating and so we may not update the User Manual on time.

Currently, eWeLink only supports 2.4 G wifi communication protocol. 5G Wi-Fi router is not supported. 

2. Other tutorials:

APP Permissions

About eWeLink permissions, please refer to this post. If you reject some important permissions, you can't add the device to App normally.

APP Installation

1. I enter eWeLink in the search bar in APP Store but find no apps. This problem also happens when I search eWeLink in Google Play. Why?
It is probably because that the new version is under verification to get approval for release. It sometimes takes a few days. We apologize about this. We suggest you to always save the App in your folder.

2. Can the app be used on PC?
Sorry, the app can only be used on smartphone and tablet. Currently, we don't plan to make a PC version. 

Registration

1. Failed to register eWeLink account with email address
Please update the APP to the latest version. This problem has been solved in the latest version.

2. Registration problems
1)For Asian users, eWeLink only supports registration and sharing by phone number account.
2)For users outside Asia, eWeLink only supports registration and sharing by email address.

3. Failed to receive any validation code in registration.
Please disable SMS blocking. Please check your junk mail box.
If you still can't receive the validation code, please submit a feedback on eWeLink APP.

Pairing

1. eWeLink failed to search device during adding process
If you have installed mobile security APP such as Mobile Manager or Mobile Safe Assistant, this kind of APPs may have prohibited some privileges of eWeLink. Sometimes the system will even prompt safe notification, thus it cannot lead to a successful search.
1).You can access to modify authority management, set eWeLink to be your direct trust program or set all programs to be allowed.
2).Your model is too far away from the router, take it closer and retry.
3).Check if the device has auto-exited pairing mode in the pairing process.
4).Try to pair with another WiFi network.
5).Try to pair with another phone.
6).Power off the model and restart. If it keeps failing, then check:
① If your model’s pairing led fast steadily blinks.

Please go to Phone Settings-->Wi-Fi, find the WiFi starts with ITEAD ( ITEAD-10000XXXX), enter the password 12345678. If you failed to find ( ITEAD-10000XXXX) or when you enter the password, it says “Wrong Password”, your model has a hardware problem, please contact seller for return&exchange.

② If your model’s pairing led fast blinks as below:

Please check if you have enabled “Wireless network internal isolation” in router settings. Enabling it will cause the App can’t access the device and failed to search the device. So please disable it. If still failed, please contact seller for return&exchange.

③ If you are using GSM model(like Sonoff G1, Sonoff G2), when you scan the QR code of the model, it displays “Invalid QR code”, please take a photo of the QR code, and enlarge it on your computer to scan it. Please make sure the model belongs to “eWeLink Supported” products.

2. For timeout Problem, please follow below steps to solve it:
1)Check whether your APP version is the latest one, and if not, update it to the latest one.
2)Unplug the device (Sonoff/Slampher...), then plug it to power up again.
3)Uninstall eWeLink and install again
4)Try with a different mobile phone
5)Change to a new WiFi

3. If you failed to add the device, it prompts like "We are not sure Which account is the device owner" or "Device belongs to another user"

Please make sure no one around you has added the device since you receive the package.
If your smart home model is brand-new, and it's the first time you add it but failed, the App prompts like this "We are not sure Which account is the device owner", or "Device belongs to another user" , you should contact after-sale services from where you buy your model from, say Aliexpress, eBay or elsewhere. You can ask the seller for help.

One device one owner. If you have added it to another account before, please log in your old account to delete it. Then you can re-add it.

If you bought the device from ITEAD, we guarantee the smart home products you order on our official website are 100% brand-new. If you need any return service, please submit a ticket on our support system or directly contact info@itead.freshdesk.com

4. Failed to auto-switch to device WiFi.
1. Please make sure the model has entered pairing mode.
2.If the model has exited pairing mode, please let it re-enter into pairing mode. Then click the words in blue “Return to eWeLink System WiFi settings” as shown in the screenshot. Next, please manually connect the WiFi (ITEAD-10000XXXX), the password is 12345678. Once successful, go back to the App. Done.

Device Offline

Please refer to this post.

Timing Schedules

1. The preset timers don't work
1) Please update device firmware to the latest version
2)The preset timers can work normally as long as your model has power, even your network is disconnected. But you can’t see the device status changes on the App unless the network is OK. Make sure when you creating the timers, your network is OK.  
3) The model is powered off, and then the network disconnects or the model’s network is disconnected, and then it gets power off. The timers will work if you power the model up and get network restored. But you can’t see the device status changes on the App until the network is OK. 

Device Share Control

1. Other users can't find the device I am sharing.
  • The account you share to has not been logged in.  
  • The account you share to has been logged in, but no App process. 
  • Your network or the other user’s network is disconnected or not stable. 
  • iOS: the other user has launched the App and logged in, but his phone screen is locked off(the screen is not lightened).  

We don’t support to share to cross continent accounts. In the same continent, users can share between email account, mobile phone accounts and third-party accounts.

If still failed, they should try to uninstall eWeLink and install again. Then try to share again.

2. It shows the user I want to share is not online
You must make sure the user you want to share with has eWeLink account and is online (keep the screen lighted)

3. Share device list sometimes disappear (especially when I switch the language)
Log out of the APP, re-enter to check if it is there. Or you have to wait for the newer App version.

4. A user deleted the devices shared by me, but my share list does not update.
Then you have to wait for the newer App version.

Alexa Issues

1. I can't log in eWeLink account in Alexa App.
Please make sure your account is entered correctly. Please don't add space behind your account. If it keeps showing "incorrect info", please provide your account info to our support to check.

2. I find no devices in the Alexa App.
Please make sure you have at least one smart device that supports to work with Alexa on your eWeLink App.

Other APP issues

1. Virtual Auto ON/OFF Power Switch
It failed to execute the function of Auto ON/OFF when powered up.
1)Check your firmware version, and if needed, please upgrade the APP to the latest version
2)Log out of your account and re-enter, set the power switch, and check whether it is valid
3)Remove the device, add again, set the power switch and check whether it is valid.

2. How to view APP details and firmware version?
To view APP versions, go to User Center, the APP version is out there.
To view firmware version, enter into the device's control interface, click the upper right corner "Setting", the firmware version is out there.

3. Failed to upgrade firmware
Please try for several times. If failed, please follow below operations:
  • Delete the device from your account.  
  • Take another phone, enable its hotspot. 
  • Connect the hotspot WiFi with your phone. Re-add the model, note that you have to enter the hotspot WiFi info correctly during adding process. 
  • After adding it successfully, upgrade the firmware.  
  • After upgrading successfully. Delete your device from your account. 
  • Switch your WiFi to your previous home WiFi. 
  • Re-add the device to App via the home WiFi. 
Once you change the WiFi, you’ll need to delete and re-add. Or the device can’t send data to the server successfully.

4. The App always prompts “Network Unavailable”
1. Please check your phone settings. Check if you have banned “EWeLink” to use WiFi/4G. If you have disabled the network for EWeLink, please enable it.
2. If you can use the App on your phone normally in the 4G network, but when switch to WiF, it continuously prompts “Network Unavailable”, this problem is caused by unstable WiFi network.
3. Only EWeLink prompts “Network Unavailable”, other APP can be used normally. 
Please complain to the network operator. Ask them why can not parse these two domain names: cn-long.coolkit.cc and api.coolkit.cc. Let them parse the two domain names.

5. The device auto turn on/off
1.Please check if you have shared it with other users. Other users can turn on/off the device you shared. You may have created timers or scenes to trigger on/off the device.
2.Delete your device from your account. Check if the model auto on/off by itself. If the problem persists, there may be a hardware problem. Please contact the seller.

6. The App doesn’t display the data like temperature or humidity
Make sure you plug the sensor into the interface of TH switch before you power it up. 
Please power your model off. Then unplug and plug the sensor into the model. Then power on and check on the App. It may take a while to refresh the interface. 
If it still failed to display the data, the plug may be loosened. Or the sensor is broken, please contact seller for return & exchange.

7. Setting device’s power on status
By setting power on state, your device will automatically in ON, OFF or KEEP status when power on. KEEP: your device will be in the same state as it is before electricity cut off.
How to set it? Enter into device’s control interface, click Setting on upper right corner, you’ll see the power on state. Note: those devices shared by others don’t allow to set the power on state. 

8. Are the Sonoff series support control by LAN?
Answer:  iOS app doesn't support LAN control. 
Some Android model supports. Currently, these models are included(updating): Sonoff Basic, Sonoff RF, Slampher, S20, Sonoff S85, Sonoff SV, Sonoff Touch EU/US, BN-SZ01 LED, Sonoff T1 1gang, S30, Inching/self-locking WiFi Switch 5V and 12V.

9. What's the URL of eWeLink server?
Answer: eu-disp.coolkit.cc(in EU), us-disp.coolkit.cc(in US), cn-disp.coolkit.cc (Asian server)  
If you want to ping the address to test if our server is in good status, please ping the address accordingly.
How to ping? Read this article

Hardware

1. Why the schematic shows 5 pins and the device I I receive has 4 pins?
Answer: The old version Sonoff has 4 pins, while the new version has 5 pins. And what you are using is the old version.

2. What are the additional exposed pins at the top of the board?
Answer: Those pins are reserved for 433 RF receiver module.

3. What is the interaction between the ESP8266 and the microcontroller and the 433Mhz radio?

4. What is the logic of the button?

Answer: low active

5. It looks like the button is connected to the microcontroller and possibly also the firmware/flash pin

Answer: Sonoff RF(with 433 RF receiver module) button connects to microcontroller, while Sonoff (without 433 RF receiver module) button connects to ESP8266 and common use with firmware/flash pin.

6. What is the purpose of the PWM1 connection?

Answer: It connects to LED, which can indicate WiFi state.

7. LED indicator does not work

1) Check if the board has burn marks and if there is burning smell. Make sure the power for the connected device does not exceed max. supported power.

2) If you have multimeter and soldering iron, you may follow below steps to test and repair.

a. Use a multimeter to test both ends of U1 to see if there is about 300v DC or not, if not, then weld the U1 firmly with soldering iron.

b. If U1 has voltage, then check if D5 has voltage. If D5 has no voltage, then use the iron to weld C10 firmly. If D5 has voltage, then send it back to us for repair.

Note: If you are in China, you can directly send to us for repair. If you are not, then please open a ticket to contact our customer service first.

8. Both physical button or APP button can not turn on or off the connected device.

That's because the relay or circuit for relay driver has faults:

If you are overseas customers, you can repair it as follows:

1) Please re-welded Q1 if you have a soldering iron.

2) Send back to us for repair.

Domestic customers can directly send back to us for detecting, repair or exchange. 

9. Electric leakage

Please return it to us for test and repair.

10. Slampher: While turned off, the LED indicator faintly flashed one time, and the connected light bulb failed to be turned off.

Answer: Hardware problem. Please contact our after-sales support for repair or exchange service.

11. Slampher: The led indicator keeps blinking after turn off.

Possible reasons:

1). the LED is broken

2). Electric leakage caused by humid weather

3) The thyristor is broken. Please contact our after-sales support for repair or exchange.

12. My phone is lost, I want to add my devices to a new phone.

You can always log in your eWeLink account with any phone as long as you remember your account and password.

So please log in your old account number, and delete all your devices.

Register a new account with your new phone number. Add your devices to the new account.

13. My Sonoff is dead.

Please open the shell and check whether there is something loose and some cold soldering.

If not, please open a ticket to send a video showing that you have powered the device with right voltage (better use voltmeter to test) but there is no response of the device.

About DIY

Write Firmware

1. How to make my Sonoff WiFi Wireless Switch enter into "UART Download" mode?

Follow below steps:

1)Press and hold the setting button of Sonoff, power up the Sonoff and loose the button, it will automatically enter into "UART Download" mode.

2)You can refer to this link to gain information about SDK and programming manual.

3)Note that we do not recommend you to do that. If you change the firmware, we DON'T undertake any responsibility for any problems caused by this operation.

2. Can I directly use 5V DC to power Sonoff?

Yes, you can. Connect both ends of D5.

3. Can I control added devices through Web page?

Sorry, but you can use the APP or go to eWeLink WeChat subscription account to control the devices.

4. I want to customize for hardware.

You can contact our engineer at this email: odm(at)itead.cc

Note: If you have any problems that are still unsolved, please submit a detailed feedback on eWeLink Application. Our IT support will then check the problem and reply you as quickly as possible.  A warm reminder here: make sure you have entered a valid email address when submitting your feedback.

3 people like this