Start a new topic

5 displays via software serial possible?

Would there be any general issue in using 5 Nextion displays connected via software serials with one Arduino ?

4 people like this idea

... No.

It's UART not IIC.. 

Hello Al Fox,

Were you able to configure the 5 displays on one arduino?

I want to use to in a project with a MEGA but I am having some troubles in configuring the second display. Did you the same library as for the 1st display?

Thanks in advance,

This would be great!!  even if they have larger versions than 7" in future.  I did see reference to a 9" on the wiki page, but not for sale.

it's possible if you use a MUX DEMUX or use SoftwareSerial Library
exemple with 2 Serial: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/TwoPortReceive

Regards

Hello everybody,

If you look elsewhere at my previously posted messages you will see that I have overload problems. Can what is noticed by Seby 7060 also be a solution to my problems?

Thank you in advance for your replays,

greetings,

Ben.

Why don't you use a more powerful CPU than just a MEGA? The Teensy 3.6 for example has 6 independent hardware UARTs, some even with FIFOs, which can be used to control 6 Nextion HMIs simultaneously without using as much CPU resources as SoftwareSerial would by doing stupid bit banging.

Hello Thierry,

Interesting, but I'm not convinced that the problem is in my Mega.There are moments when the Mega is quiet, it doesn't do nothing. So first find out where my problem is exactly. Thank you for your response.

Greetings,

Ben.

How can people guess what you posted elsewhere? The commonly accepted procedure among software developers who help one another is that you post a cleaned up few lines of code example which allows others to copy/paste into the Arduino IDE and to reproduce immediately your problem.

Besides of that, my recommendation was more universal or general and (naturally) related to the title of this thread ("5 displays via software serial possible?"): Software serial is and remains a crutch. Connecting and handling n serial devices requires n serial ports if one intends to do serious work. And since the Mega has NOT 5 serial ports, it is simply not suited. That's all.

Stop guessing, you were right. You find my problem under overloading problems in the free chat forum.

But anyhow, thank you for your response!

Regards,

Ben.

Login or Signup to post a comment