Start a new topic
Solved

can’t write to some of the files

there is a bug in your editor. When I install it into the default path, it can’t write to some of the files it needs.

For instance, create a new project:

Access to the path C:\Program Files (x86)\Nextion Editor\ca.ca is denied.

Open a new project:

Access to the path C:\Program Files (x86)\Nextion Editor\data.xml is denied.

I am running Windows 8.1 x64. It works OK if I install it to a non-standard directory, e.g.

c:\WinApp\Nextion Editor.

The problem is that you have to run it as admin, or it won’t work.

The proper way is for the data to be stored somewhere else, since only admin can write to Program Files.

That is not safe.

4 people have this problem

Same on Windows7.

File -> Build Folder = Access to the path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Nextion Editor\bin\' is denied.

yes,
I think it's not a "good style" to let the softwae store data within " C:\Program Files (x86)\Nextion Editor\** "
since this is only possible with administrator rights.
Every kind of project files *.hmi-files, pics, fonts, settings, debug-outputs, and so on
should be in the normal user area (not depending on admin-rights):
" C:\Users\USERNAME\** " and subdir.
or the hidden directory
" C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\** " and subdir.

(just like any other regular Win7 / 8 / 10 Software does it ;-)

When I run Nextion Editor without administrator rights, I also get following error message at start: "Fail to connect server......"

thats a normal message until the server is online on iteads end, I would guess when a new update becomes available they will make it live

@Charles lakins 

That's also what I thought the first time, but I don't get this error message when I run Nextion Editor as an adminstrator.

@Charles lakins

In fact, the server is always on line..... strange things....

We will try to fix it.

Its been working for me the last two days now ,before it was doing it so I assumed that was the case

It might have just been an internet lag timeout

Still happens for me on Win7, unless run as admin

Windows programs should NEVER demand write access to the "Program Files" folder!

As posters before have mentioned, all dynamic files should be saved into user folders.

No matter if there are workarounds (Admin privs, alternative install folder, ...), this should be done the intended way.

An official statement ragarding this issue would be appreciated.

1 person likes this

This issue should be solve in v0.20

2 people like this

I get the "access denied" error even when running as admin.  Using current download available 7/19/2015.  Any work-arounds?

As stated in the other thread 

I had a similar problem, till I realized that my `ca.ca` somehow got set to read-only - maybe due to a non-complete uninstall of the previous version.

After correcting that it worked. 

Another workaround is to close Nextion Editor, delete the `ca.ca` file and let NE rebuild it. 

Scruff.r,  Thanks, that did the trick.

In windows 7, 8 do not install programs in folders defined by the system, install in folders on disk C root, this prevents denial of access.

C: \ Program Files (x86) not to install, use eg C: \ users_program

Login or Signup to post a comment